Texas School Districts Race to Install New Security Equipment in 2022-2023 School Year
What Schools Need to Know about the Texas School Safety Standards Rule
The disturbing rise in school shootings and violence prompted the Texas Governor’s Office and the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to propose specific new security requirements for all Texas schools, most of which are aimed at preventing intruders.
The School Safety Standards Rule requires all Texas schools to fortify every facility’s most vulnerable entry points – doors and windows with entry-resistant film. Additional grant money is available to help pay for the mandated requirements.
Entry-Resistant Film is Required on all Glass Windows and Doors
The proposed School Safety Standard rule requires “Windowed doors on the ground level or windows that are adjacent to or near a door and are large enough to allow someone to enter if broken must be reinforced with entry-resistant film unless within a secured area.”
Some Security Window Films Provide Breach-Resistance
While many security window films on the market help protect against impact damage such as bomb blasts or severe weather – only one meets the criteria for entry-resistance.
When installed by Epic Solar Control, Ultra S800 Safety Window films from 3M™ provide the protection required to delay forced entry. Every moment a breach is delayed gives first responders more time to respond and offers staff and students precious time to implement their emergency plan.
3M Security Film is engineered to:
- Harden glass with strong adhesives and multiple microlayers. When struck by a blunt object such as a bat, hammer, or bullet, this combination holds broken glass together.
- Delay intruders from entering through broken glass.
- Reduce injury by protecting people from flying glass debris during blasts or violent weather events.
New State Funding is Available
The proposed TEA mandates are the latest steps to increase school safety in the wake of the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde last year. To help districts quickly comply, the State of Texas approved an additional $400 million in grant funding for replacing and upgrading doors, windows, fencing, communications, and other specific safety measures. The 2023-2025 School Safety Standards Formula Grant is formula-based and administered by the TEA. The grant has no cost-sharing or match requirements, and every LEA (Local Educational Agency) is entitled to a minimum of $200,000 in grant funds.
Imminent Compliance Deadlines for The School Safety Standards Rule
Whether a school applies for grant funding or not, compliance deadlines for The School Safety Standards Rule are fast approaching. Schools must procure a contractor and provide a final timeline for completing all work by August 2023.
There are important factors regarding this new rule:
- The rule language states, “entry resistant” what is meant is, the film must be “breach resistant,” and prevent easy access by intruders. Not all safety window film is engineered to be breach resistant. It’s vital to choose a security film and attachment system that is specifically designed to provide the mandated protection. 3 M’s Safety and Security Film and attachment systems offer the highest level of protection.
- It’s also important to choose a 3M authorized dealer installer to receive expert professional installation and the benefits of the limited lifetime warranty. While many ‘window film installers’ are vying for your grant dollars, only certified security window film experts should be utilized to ensure your security window film provides the full benefits of breach-resistance.
- School staff is responsible for ensuring all upgrades and security systems remain in working order. Be sure to contract with a certified dealer who can maintain all installations.
Trusted by the White House and Schools Across Texas
Epic Solar Control is a 3M Authorized Prestige Window Film Dealer. As Texas’ leading certified security film expert, Epic is committed to helping you reduce vulnerabilities and protect your school’s students, teachers, and staff. Epic is a woman-owned Texas company, and we have kids in Texas schools too.
Enhance Security Without Breaching the Budget
Cooperative purchasing groups are an excellent way for school districts to receive discounts and streamline the procurement process by not having to go out for bids.
Epic is an approved vendor for most school purchasing agreements including BuyBoard, Tips, and Choice Partners Cooperative. This means Epic has been vetted for quality and price competitiveness and can help your school complete projects faster and with cooperative discounts.
Through its purchasing cooperatives, Epic Solar Control enables districts to:
- Streamline and shorten the procurement process
- Avoid the long bid process
- Reduce risk with the built-in compliance of cooperative purchasing agreements
- Lower costs with volume discounts while increasing purchasing power
Take Your Next Steps to Ensure Compliance and School Security
- Contact Epic Solar Control for a free school security assessment. Our security experts will walk you through the process, including the documentation needed to secure your school safety grants.
- Review Epic Solar Control’s recent school safety window film projects, featuring Dallas CCC-El Centro, Princeton ISD, Paris ISD and many more.
About Epic Solar Control
Epic Solar Control is a premier 3M window tinting company providing window film solutions and installation, decorative and privacy glass, and safety and security window film for commercial buildings, schools, hospitals, architects, and energy consultants.
Epic Solar Control has built a reputation for providing exceptional quality craftsmanship and superior customer service. Have questions about window tinting or security film solutions? Give us a call anytime; we would love to help!
We’re here to help. Epic Solar Control is a 3M™ Certified Dealer Installer and we’re happy to answer any of your questions regarding window tint films, the installation process, or any other questions.
More School Safety & Security Resources: